In this old post “Mud pants — wet and muddy season’s essential” I wrote about how great mud pants (aka rain pants, waterproof pants) are for Spring season when snow is often slushy or outdoors is muddy. Unlike snow pants that make children feel hot in warmer Spring days mud pants are thin and lightweight, roomy and keep child cool, but dry while playing outdoors.
This year we switch our brand of choice for mud pants to FAIRECHILD as we were having issues with our Didricksons pants loosing their waterproof quality. Also, FAIRECHILD brand has much better sustainability practices, which is a big factor. They also make waterproof coats and mittens.
Here is a little bit about sustainability practices of this brand:
- Their garments are crafted from 100% recycled plastic bottles
- According to the label that came with our rain pants 19 plastic bottles were utilized in creating of the garment.
- FAIRECHILD offers Take Back program for their used garments that recycles re-used garments. I think this is an incredible initiative!
Many years from now, your fairechild garment will reach the end of its life cycle. At that point join our Take Back Program by sending the well-worn garment back to us. We take care of the recycling. As a thank-you you will receive a 15% discount off your next fairechild purchase.
FAIRECHILD garments have following certifications:
- GLOBAL RECYCLED STANDARD: The GRS is an international, voluntary, full product standard that sets requirements for third-party certification of recycled content, chain of custody, social and environmental practice, chemical restriction.
- BLUESIGN: The Bluesign sustainable textile production certification approves the entire life cycle of a product, including: Consumer safety, work place safety, resources used, protection of the environment.
- OEKO-TEX: The OEKO-TEX standard is an international, independent, testing and certification system. It guaranteesperoducts are free from armful chemicals, and garments are produced with a low environmental impact.
Lastly, here are few notes on functionality of the garments:
- The fabric is lightweight and very soft
- The models are roomy, allowing plenty of room for boys to sit, bend and so forth, without feeling restricted in any way
- Good elastic at the bottom of the pant to sit tightly around the ankle and thus keep the snow out
- High-quality adjustable elastic straps at the bottom of each pant to go under the bottom of a shoe and keep the pants from raising up
- Beautiful adjustable suspenders and metal details.
So far we are very happy with this new